Installing Smith.ai Web Chat on a GoDaddy Website
To install the Smith.ai Chat widget on your GoDaddy site
Option 1 (Recommended)
Find a different web hosting provider or website builder. We recommend Weebly, Wix, Squarespace, or even Wordpress. GoDaddy is an amazing company and they make getting a basic website up and running easy. Unfortunately, GoDaddy does not play nicely with chat widgets — ours or anyone else's. So, just keep that in mind. We're guessing you'll read ahead to Option 2, and that's fine — we have some workarounds. But the best solution is really to find a different platform.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Website Builder and click "Edit Site" in the top right
- Go to your Home page (it should already be on it) and click "Add Section"
- Create a section type "HTML"
- Choose whatever accent color you want (probably white). You can leave off the title unless it really works well with your theme.
- In the custom code block, paste the code provided to you in the Chat interface under the "GoDaddy" option. It should look like this:
(we've replaced your unique ID with
<a href="#" onClick="window.open('https://app.smith.ai/chat/standalone-widget/5555-5555-5555-5555/', 'Chat', 'resizable,height=700,width=450'); return false;"><img src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/prod-smith-dynamic/static/chat/chat-icons/smithai-chat-icon.png" width="144" alt="Chat"></a>
- Toggle "Center Align" at the bottom
- Click "Done" at the top of the column
- There you go, your chat button is ready for prime-time.
- Recreate this element on every subpage of your site or anywhere else you want it to appear. On longer pages you will want to replicate it at the bottom of the page, as well.
- Click "Publish" in the top right corner
There you go. That's the best you can do with GoDaddy.