We wrote this article for those new to virtual receptionist services, or new to the capabilities that Smith.ai offers that may differ from what you might be accustomed to.
Coming from the Express Setup
If you've just finished the Express Setup, welcome! Your account is being set up by our team. You can expect to hear from us within six business hours indicating that it's ready to go. Our team is now processing your instructions and setting up your account.
When your account is ready, we will perform a test call to make sure everything is working properly. That will generate a call summary, which will go to your phone or email (whichever you specified). When you receive it, everything is good to go, and you can begin forwarding calls to your Smith.ai number.
New to Virtual Receptionists or Smith.ai? Here's what we do...
We qualify your customers for you, saving you hours each day, keeping your clients happy, and helping your business succeed. Here's how:
- We provide you with a phone number once your account is set up
- You either use that number for your business' incoming calls, or forward your existing phone number(s) to it, and we'll answer the calls
- We answer your calls between 5am – 9pm PT / 8am – 12am ET, Monday through Friday
- Based on criteria and decision-making guidance you give us, we:
- Take messages
- Schedule appointments*
- Transfer calls to you (or another person/department)
- Do client intake
- Provide basic business information to callers
- Refer the caller to someone else
- Reject or block the caller (e.g., Yelp or other salespeople)
- Take a payment or deposit for your services*
- Much more (whatever you need!)
- We then take the actions required for the call, and send you a summary of what we did shortly thereafter
- We look forward to your feedback to let us know if we've made the right decisions, and we will continue to refine our process based on your directions
Forwarding your calls to your virtual receptionists
For help with forwarding, please see our documentation on forwarding.
When you start forwarding, please make sure your caller ID is enabled for your carrier. Our system needs it for handling your calls effectively.
Features and Capabilities
Our team can transfer calls to you. For example, you may want us to schedule appointments for all qualified prospective clients, but attempt to transfer calls to you for existing ones, court staff, VIPs, etc. We usually call you, as an in-house receptionist would, and ask if you'd like to accept the transfer. However, we also offer transfer notifications via Slack or SMS.*
Our team can schedule appointments for qualified callers. (We'll need some details from you to do that.) We can even take deposit payments when needed.
We can provide client intake (including completing forms you've created in your CRM) for qualified callers, from basic to complex. If a caller meets your criteria, we'll do the busy work for you.
Blocking & Rejection
We don't charge for spam calls, unwanted sales calls, or wrong numbers. In addition, you can block calls you'd never like to receive again. Perhaps it's a pesky vendor or an ex-client you've had issues with. You can simply tell us to block the number, or click a link at the bottom of a call summary and do it yourself.