Porting Your Number to Smith.ai
Nearly all popular carriers and services allow porting. That means AT&T Wireless, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Boost, MetroPCS, and so on.
Smith.ai does not charge a fee to port your number (in or out), but other carriers and services may. You may wish to check on any fees that porting will incur before initiating the process.
You must follow these steps, in this order
(Feel free to print this out and use it as a checklist — it'll make things easier!)
- Download and fill out this file
📎 Letter of Authorization (Click here to download)
- Get a scanned (or electronic) copy of your most recent phone bill for that number (within the last 30 days) that includes the account, owner/authorized user name, and address information for all the numbers you'd like to port.
- Email both documents to firstname.lastname@example.org (in the same email).
- Release your number with your existing provider:
- For Google Voice, you will need to release your number here.
- For RingCentral, you will need to call them and request a Customer Service Report, and let them know that you are porting the number out. More information here.
- For Wireless Numbers (AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile), we need the wireless account number as well as the PIN or last 4 of SSN
- For 800.com, note that they charge a $100 port-out fee. Also, you will need to contact them to cancel your account after your number has been ported; this is not done automatically. More information here.
If you're having difficulty with your port request please let us know and we will attempt to help.
I'm porting my cell number to Keypad. Should I request a new phone number before the porting, or after the porting is complete?
Get your new cell number now, so that it's ready for you as soon as your number is ported to Keypad and you can begin directing calls to that second line immediately. This may mean you need to pay for two lines for 1-2 weeks while the porting procedure plods along towards completion. Once your port completes, you'll be back down to one line. This of course is up to you, but we think it's the ideal scenario to prevent any interruption in your cell service.
Will there be any downtime when I port my number?
Yes, there can be a few hours of downtime between our team receiving the completed port notification and activating the number in our system. During this brief period, calls to this number may receive an "application error" or default system configuration message.