How to connect Actionstep to Smith.ai using Zapier
Actionstep is a cloud-based legal practice & case management software with everything you need to run your entire law firm. If you use Actionstep for practice management, you can connect it to Smith.ai via Zapier, and have all your calls automatically logged in your account.
What you’ll need:
Step 1: Set up Smith.ai Trigger
- Sign into Zapier and click Make a Zap.
- Under Trigger, search for Smith.ai and choose the result with the red logo.
- For the trigger event, choose “New Call.”
- Add your API key when prompted to connect your account. You can get your API key in your Smith.ai Call Dashboard under Integrations. Further instructions on how to connect Smith.ai to Zapier here.
- Click test and review to get the data from a recent call.
Step 2 (optional): Reformat phone numbers
Actionstep separates phone numbers into separate fields for the area code and main number. In order to add phone numbers to Actionstep, we need to separate out the area code using the Zapier Formatter. (This step is optional and will require a paid Zapier plan.)
- Start an action and search for “Formatter by Zapier” and choose action event “Text” then click continue.
- Set up the action like this:
- Transform: Split Text
- Input: Primary Phone
- Separator: Add just one space using the space bar
- Segment Index: All (as Separate Fields)
- Click “Test and Review” and make sure the test was successful and your number has been separated like this:
- Click “Continue.”
Step 3: Set up Actionstep Action
Now we're going to add the Smith.ai call to Actionstep as a new contact.
- Start a new Action and search for Actionstep under App Event.
- Choose “Create Individual Contact” as your action event and then connect your Actionstep account.
- Choose the fields you want to have filled out in Actionstep based on the call received. The below example includes:
- Caller First Name
- Caller Last Name
- Phone Number (separated from the area code in step 2)
- Call Summary
- Test the Action and check your Actionstep account for the new contact.Click into the contact, and you should see any fields you set up populated with information from your call (notice below that the area code and phone number are separated because of step 2):
- Once you have confirmed the Zap works, turn it on. All your calls taken by Smith.ai will be automatically logged as contacts in your Actionstep account!