How to Connect Smith.ai Chat to Zapier
Our Zapier integration helps business owners save tons of time by automating processes that have previously been manual. Imagine taking every chat lead and adding them to your CRM by hand: This and thousands of other processes can be automated through Zapier, reducing manual work so you can get back to work.
What is Zapier?
Zapier connects your existing platforms, so you can sync information and initiate workflows. You can use the Smith.ai Chat Zapier integration to add chat contacts and transcripts to thousands of applications, like your CRM, Google Sheets, Slack and Teams, and more.
Automated connections, called Zaps, are made up of Triggers and Actions. Smith.ai is a Trigger — you can send the information from a call to another app automatically after each call.
You can set up Zaps in minutes with no coding, automating your day-to-day tasks and building workflows between apps that otherwise wouldn't be possible.
Read on to learn how to get started.
- Sign into your Zapier account (or create one for free).
- Click “Make A Zap”
- Search for “Smith.ai Chat” as your trigger app and “New Chat” as your trigger action.
- You will need to add your Smith.ai Chat account if this is the first Zap you’ve set up. Click “Connect an account” and you will see a screen like this:
- In a new tab, in to your Smith.ai Web Chat account and navigate to Integrations.
- Click on the Zapier integration to view your API token. Copy the token and go back to your Zapier tab.
- Insert the Smith.ai API token into Zapier and continue.
- You have two choices here:
- Choose “Find Chat” if you have any closed relevant conversations from the last 24 hours
- Skip this step. This is the recommended choice. We provide an example conversation for this situation so you can finish configuring the Zap with dummy data.
- Now set up your action. You can have chat contact info and transcripts sent through Gmail, Twitter, Mailchimp, Trello, and hundreds of other apps connected to Zapier. For more inspiration, explore the Zapier apps.
How much does a Zapier integration cost?
There are three factors to consider in the cost of a Zapier integration.
Smith.ai: Your Smith.ai live-staffed chat account comes with one free integration. If Zapier is your second integration, it will cost $0.50/call or chat. Note: The Zapier integration will incur a $0.50/chat cost with the free AI-chatbot, even if it’s the first integration.
Zapier: Zapier has a free plan which includes single-step Zaps and 100 tasks per month. We recommend starting with this plan and only upgrading if you need to.
You can learn more about Zapier’s paid plans on their website.
3rd Party App: Many apps, like Google Sheets and HubSpot, don’t require an additional subscription to connect to Zapier. Ask about prices from the company you’re ultimately sending your calls and chats to.
What kinds of platforms does Zapier integrate with?
At the time of writing, Zapier connects to over 3,000 apps. The most popular to use with Smith.ai Chat are CRMs, case management tools, communication platforms, spreadsheets, contacts, email marketing, calendars, billing, and more. But with email organization, social media, lead magnet tools, and even video platforms, you may find that Zapier automations are useful beyond Smith.ai too!
Where can I get suggestions on what to set up through Zapier?
Looking for some popular use cases?
Here are some pre-made Smith.ai Chat Zap templates:
Can your support team help me set up my Zapier integration?
No, we are not Zapier experts. You can search for guides in our documentation or dive in and try to set up the integration Zapier yourself (remember, it doesn’t require any coding knowledge).
If you’re still struggling to set up a Zapier integration, we recommend looking on UpWork for an automation expert who can build and maintain your Zaps. Or you could hire one of Zapier’s certified experts.
How is Zapier different from a native CRM integration?
Smith.ai has dozens of native integrations with CRMs and case management platforms. “Native” means you don’t need Zapier to connect them.
There are two main reason why you might want to use Zapier instead of a native integration:
- Smith.ai doesn’t have a native integration with your platform. If you use a CRM or other tool that Smith.ai hasn’t built an integration with yet, Zapier is a great option to still automate your workflow.
- Zapier offers more customization than the native Smith.ai integration. Our integrations log chats in your CRM immediately and in the same way every time — which works for most users. Zapier offers flexibility in the way you log chats.
How can I use Zapier in ways other than logging chats in my CRM?
Looking for other ways to use your new Zapier integration? There are thousands of options for how to use the data that comes in every day from your callers and chatters. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Log all new leads as contacts in your Google Contacts or Microsoft 365 account
- Add emails from chatters to your email marketing platform
- Log new leads as rows in a spreadsheet for future tracking
- Have every chat transcript sent to a Slack or Teams channel for collaboration and transparent follow-up
- Create a reminder on your Google Calendar to follow up with new leads who come in via live chat
- Add a new leads as a task in your Todoist or Evernote account
If this is your first time using Zapier, take a look at other automations between platforms. You may find that there are multiple Zaps you can create that save you tons of time in the long run!
What are you using your Smith.ai Zapier Zap for? Please let us know! We'd love to feature you on our blog.